Friday, March 25, 2016

Switching it Up

Riding two very different horses over the past few weeks has been a new experience for me.  Not only physically, but mentally.  My daughter has had lots of experience with this from her years of being a working student and it has made her a fabulous rider.  I don't expect that to happen to me  riding both Riva and Fergie, but I hope it will eventually improve my skills.
Husband is busy working around the farm and no time to take new pics!

I look forward to riding Fergie - she is eager, forward, and will just keep trying, even when sweaty and tired.  She remembers everything from the previous ride and we can build on that and add in new exercises.  Currently we spend time each ride working on transitions, straightness and bend, and picking up the canter promptly. Left lead is getting much easier - right lead is still sticky, but I am starting to figure it out.
 Fergie 'assisting' her Dad with stall cleaning.

Riva is maddening...she reminds me of a kid who doesn't like to practice but loves to perform.  You know the type.  She is always on at a show - but it is very difficult to progress when you need to school movements at home but we end up spending the entire ride just getting a decent connection and her hind end engaged.
Annoyed Riva Diva - not to worry, I brought her in after I took a photo!

Indiana weather gave us a good stretch of dry weather, and I was able to ride 6 days out of 7 last week - and then we got an inch of rain yesterday...  Hoping for a dry Spring and lots of saddle time to work with Riva - get out in the pasture for hacks and out of the arena.

And have a beer sitting on my little pier!

7 comments:

Jen said...

I love your pier! Your comment about the kid that loves to perform but not practice made me laugh - that is definitely Connor. I take heart in knowing he is (normally) so much better and easier to ride at shows than at home.

Unknown said...

Learning to ride two very different horses is hard! But you'll get the hang of it and it will be so rewarding!

Stanthehorse said...

You'll expand so much as a rider with two totally different horses!

emma said...

I laughed at that metaphor too - such a perfect way to describe it haha

Amy said...

Definitely sounds educational. And your husband cleans stalls? Holy cow! Lull l lucky girl!

Ruth said...

It's always good riding different horses. Not only does it improve riding skills, but it keeps life interesting.

Achieve1dream said...

Awesome pier!

I'm glad things are going well and that you're enjoying having two rides. I hope the weather cooperates and that Riva gets less frustrating hehe.