Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Not looking forward to Friday

I always look forward to Fridays...what's not to like?  End of the work week - horse shows in show season - if not, dinner out with my husband and date night on Saturday - some time to relax and recharge.  So why did I schedule my hernia repair for a Friday?

Yes, I have to have surgery...not a happy person about this.  I went to the surgeon my doc recommended and he patiently explained to me all the reasons why the hernia needs repaired sooner rather than later.

So the hernia is a epigastic hernia - which is upper abdomen at the midline or above my belly button.  I asked the surgeon how common these type are, and he said not that common.  Mostly he sees them in construction workers.  I explained to him how I believe I caused this while girthing up my mare - he thought that sounded possible.

But what I really wanted to know was recovery time - how much time would I lose in the saddle?  Surgeon asks me what kind of riding I do...I say dressage...he gets this blank look on his face and says he has no idea what that it.  Sigh.  But he has been to a dude ranch and went trail riding.  More sighs.  After trying to explain dressage in a nutshell and the type of horse I ride;  ie young, crazy, mare - he says I should be back riding within a couple of days after the procedure.  I get home and tell husband this and I get a whole different type of look!

Of course, I wanted to get as much riding as possible in this week, even though our temps have been a high of 15 the past two days.  Last night I went out and had a really good ride.  Tonight - my truck decided it did not like the cold and needed worked on - causing husband to drive home from KY to repair.

Hoping Wednesday and Thursday are better weather wise and my truck decides to stay in working order.  Tonight though, I am sure Miss Riva is not that unhappy about an unexpected night off, although she is most likely wondering where her treats are!


11 comments:

Karen said...

Hope your surgery goes smoothly! Doesn't sound too horrible if you are allowed to be back on a horse in a matter of days. But any surgery is always nervewracking. :)

Clover Ledge Farm said...

Best of luck for your surgery! Love the new cover photo, BTW. :-)

Bakersfield Dressage said...

Nice - just a few days to recover!!!!! I had surgery on my arm a number of years ago and the doctor said to take it easy for a few days. I told him we were repainting our kitchen that weekend. Oh, no he said, that's too much stress. So instead, I went and rode 37 miles on a "conditioning ride." Hubby was not amused!!!! :0)

L.Williams said...

Hoping your surgery goes 100% a-ok and that you are back in the saddle in no time!

Carly said...

Good luck with the surgery! I'm sure everything will go smoothly and you'll be back to your dude ranch... er, dressage horse soon! ;)

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

Hope the surgery goes well I will have you in my thoughts, and also hope that you can get back to riding as soon as possible :)

Jeni said...

Best of luck!

Karley said...

I love that you asked when you could ride again!!! That was my first question after having my daughter by c-section :)

Here's to a quick surgery and speedy recovery!

Malin said...

I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Hope your recovery is smooth and painless, and that you wait a bit before getting back in the saddle. There is no rush, Riva will be there when you are recovered!!!

Hillary said...

Hope your surgery goes well!

Achieve1dream said...

Yay that's awesome that the recovery time is so short. :D I hope it all goes smoothly!