Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Verdict is In

Here you go Emme! ipickcrazy

The vet has spoken...


First and last jumping picture I will have of Riva :(
My awesome horse husband took Riva for her yearly check up on July 13th to our vet for x-rays of her left knee and both front feet.  She forwarded the x-rays to our farrier and left him a long message as to changes she wanted him to make for Riva's next shoeing, as her angles were off a bit - vet wants her heel reduced on the right club foot and the toe taken back on the left foot.  After going over the knee x-ray with my husband...she said absolutely no jumping...ever.  Can't lie that I was not really sad to hear this.  Riva seemed to like the little jumping day we had.  Our vet said trot poles are fine - even raised on one end - as long as she just trots or canters over them.
Our vet explained that the impact from landing on just that left knee (like the pic above) could further damage the cartlidge and she would be done - as in a pasture ornament for the rest of her life.  No surgery to repair it would make her ridable again.  Our vet said dressage is great, no restrictions, basically Riva can progress as high as any other horse is capable of (with a skilled rider!).

So, we will be doing lots of this:

Sorry for the repeat pics...my husband has been working with our OTTB, Cheers, instead of taking pictures of me...the nerve :)  Maybe I will take a day off soon and take photos of my hubby and the extremely chubby Cheers!  You all will think I am lying that he used to be a racehorse!

I have to give a blog plug to Sarah at mybrainonhorses.  We got to meet last month at a show and she recently started this new blog - check it out!  Sarah is a good writer, posts lots of photos, and keeps her blog updated much better than I do!





11 comments:

L.Williams said...

I'm glad that you have solid news and that Riva is rideable and able to have a job!

Mare said...

Bummer! Very sorry to hear that!:( Though, you guys will rock the dressage ring;) At least you found this out before it was too late to do anything about it!

Miranda said...

At least Riva will be able to kick butt as a dressage beast! To bad about the jumping tho.

Anonymous said...

What a bummer! But I think that you and Riva will quite enjoy advancing through the levels of dressage. (It gets super fun right around 3rd level!!)

And thank you so much for the plug, Kelly! It's so encouraging to have such positive feedback on my blogging/writing/photos.

Lisa said...

That sucks - but at least dressage is still very much on the cards!

Malin said...

I am so glad that Riva will be used appropriately. Sorry that she will not be the horse you jump with, but I am sure you will be a dressage team to go far. Thanks for the update. <3

Steph said...

Aww, I'm sorry you won't get to jump with Riva Diva anymore, but at least you got to do it once :) You could try out competitive trail instead for cross-training, I've heard it's lots of fun

Hillary said...

That is a bummer but at least you guys are the kind of owners that check to make sure she is okay and not just jumping around without a care in the world for her long term well being! Riva the Diva is a dressage queen :)

Also - very jealous that you are going to the keuring!

Kate said...

Though I am bummed she won't be taking the h/j circuit by storm, she is still one super fancy dressage horse. I am glad your vet was very cut and dry about it and I hope you have many years of wonderful rides!

Karley said...

bummer BUT yay that she can still rock at dressage!!! :)

Achieve1dream said...

Awww! That sucks about not being able to jump. :( I'm glad you had her checked though so you know for sure. Her long term soundness is more important than jumping. Besides dressage is awesome and you guys are doing great with it. :D